Bruno Bernard is typeface designer and graphic designer, specializing in the fields of corporate identity and cultural communication.
As typeface designer, he brings to companies and communication agencies creative and technical solutions to optimize the spreading of their written messages. He developed custom typefaces for the French railways, Française des jeux or Krug champagnes. Besides he designed many other cultural identity projects, exhibition graphics and directional signage.
With over 15 years of experience, Bruno co-founded the Bureau des Affaires Typographiques foundry in 2009, and in 2010 achieved notability with his Adso font, which was the culmination of his research into gothic script.
Since 2019 he has been the founder of Alfab Type Foundry, which is dedicated to the creation of typefaces steeped in both contemporary and heritage values.
He is a member of Association typographique internationale and of Rencontres de Lure. He exhibits and gives workshops regularly, in France and abroad.
- Graphisme contemporain et patrimoine(s), French National Library, Paris. 2013.
- Type for the new Century. Traveling exhibition : London, Birminham, Bristol, Newcastle, Wiemar, Leipzig. 2012.
- Blacklecker: tasty fraktur. Mota Italic Gallery, Berlin. 2011.
- Lettres type, Nouvelle création typographique en France. Traveling exhibition: MyMonkey (Nancy), Festival d’arts graphiques de Chaumont, Rencontres de Lure, ATypI (Hong-Kong). 2011.
- Scriptura, as part of La Poésie / Nuit festival, Caen, art direction Éric Vautrin. 2009.
- So Contemporary, Kanazawa Citizen’s Art Center, Japan. 2007.
Workshops or talks in several places :
- Graphisme.design, St Denis, 2019
- École supérieure Estienne, Paris, 2018
- ATypI 2017, Montréal
- Lycée Pasteur, Besançon, 2015
- Biennale du design off, St-Etienne, 2015
- Rencontres de Lurs, 2017, 2006
- ESADHAR, Le Havre, 2014
- Campus Fonderie de l’Image, Bagnolet, 2014
- ESAA Duperré, Paris, 2012
- ESAV, Marrakech, 2011
- ECV, Nantes, 2007-2011
- Commendation at the 10th Brunel Awards, international jury run by Dominique Perrault, for Achemine project. 2008.
- 2012.04 Etapes #203
- 2011.09 Type Image
- 2011.03 France Graphique #315
- 2010.12 Graphic #16
- 2010.06 Graphê #46 (with BAT)
- 2010.05 TypoLyrics
- 2010.04 Slanted #10
- 2009.11 Etapes #174
- 2008.11 Graphê #41